Monday, January 19, 2009

Touch down in the motherland!

We arrived safely (but very jet lagged) in Kigali, Rwanda on Wednesday afternoon. It's hard to believe I'm actually here! After a year of exposure to Living Water International and the global water crisis, I saw my first LWI branded water well as we drove past a local village. I was astonished to see that people were collecting water from the same muddy hole they used before the clean water well was drilled - stuck in the habit of drinking contaminated water. It blew my mind! I knew there was a grave need for the African community to understand basic hygienic practices but to see it firsthand made it a whole new reality.

Author of Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren, and his church have sponsored 50 wells that LWI is preparing to drill in Rwanda.
Kate and I will have the opportunity to teach Rwandan trainers LWI's health and hygiene curriculum - so they may in turn teach fellow natives to not recontaminate their new clean water source.

A side note . . .
Kate and I visited the genocide memorial site on Friday, a sobering and heartbreaking exposure of this country's history. As we interact with the local community, it's important and necessary to remember the horrifying atrocity Rwanda experienced and everlasting damaging effects these people suffer even today, 15 years later.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Tegan, I love the name of your blog!! It made me giggle. I will be following your email updates and your blog so I know exactly how to pray for your over the coming weeks. Angels surround you and Kate, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straight up Awesome...Jesus Rocks and Tegan you and LWI are close behind. matter of fact Jesus said you would do greater and mightier things. (John 14v12) Praise God for doing a mighty thing with LWI. May God bless you and the work you do.

    P.S. I am getting jealous of the international experience :)

    JMP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Rabbit. This is truly an amazing thing you, Kate and the others are doing. May God continue to bless you all. Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

    E Weese

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tegan and Kate, it is amazing work that you are doing. I am a friend of your Aunt JoAnne and she keeps me updated on your work and is so proud of you. Keep doing great work and we will continue to support you. God Speed.

    Char

    ReplyDelete